This little town has Samnite-Roman origins. Its name is associated with a colony of Goth warriors who survived Totila’s defeat in 553 and settled in the area as Empire’s citizens.
Important gastaldato under the Longobard domination, then it underwent the Norman rule and, in 1100, it welcomed Pope Pasquale II. During the feudalism, it belonged to the Della Ratta family, then to the Acquaviva, to the Coscia and finally to the Carafa, until the end of feudalism.
Diocese from the 10th c., among the most important bishops that ruled here Felice Peretti, Pope Sisto V and Sant’Alfonso de’ Liguori, founder of the Congregazione dei Redentoristi (Congregation of the Redemptorists) and author of the Christmas carol “Tu scendi dalle stelle”, are noteworthy.
The built-up area, situated on a tuff spur surrounded by deep gorges dug by the torrents Riello and Martorano, has perfectly preserved its natural beauty, enriched, over the years, with architectural elements.
The name of St. Agata dei Goti is connected to the homonymous d.o.c. wine that, in its white, red, rosé, piedirosso, aglianico, greco and falanghina versions, goes well with all typical Samnite dishes.
- the built-up area ducal castle
- the Carbone Palace and the Viscardi Palace
- church of SS. Annunziata
- church of St. Menna
- church of St. Angelo in Munculanis, with the annexed church of St. Francesco and the Monastery, today’s Town-Hall
- the wonderful Dom with the medioeval crypt
- church of the Carmine
- chrch of St. Francesco and archeological cell “On the trail of Saticula”
- church of St. Maria di Costantinopoli
- Diocese Museum and Alphonse’s sites
- Contemporary Arts Gallery – Library
- Parisi Palace Caves
Source: EPT Benevento