Cerreto Sannita, entirely reconstructed after the earthquake of 1688, is characterized by an original planning scheme and it is famous for its traditional ceramics production which started in the far 13th c.
The first documented, historical news about the origins of the village dates back to 12th c., during the Norman period, when it belonged to the Sanframondo family. It was then a feud of the Carafa until the fall of feudalism. After that, it was first annexed to the province of Terra del Lavoro and then to the province of Benevento with the unity of Italy.
- the entire built-up area rich in prestigious historical and architectural vestiges
- the Cathedral
- collegiale St. Martino
- church of St. Gennaro, seat of the museum of Sacred Art
- church of St. Maria di Costantinopoli
- monastery of St. Antonio, seat of the Museum of Ceramics of Cerreto
- vestiges of the ancient village of Cerreto and then downwards to the valley, to see the Roman bridge called Hannibal’s bridge
- Sacred Art Museum
- Contemporary Art Museum
- Museum of the peasant art
- Civic and Ceramics Museum
- Permanent Exhibition of Old and Modern Ceramics
Source: EPT Benevento